Research and Competitive Analysis
- March 12, 2019
- March 14, 2019
Any good web project should start with just enough research, and this one is no different.
This is a team project (unless you’re working individually).
WHAT TO DO
On the day the project is assigned, you would have met with the client to determine project goals and design aesthetics.
Because of time, we’re not going to do actual client meetings. I’ve provided the answers to common client questions.
Find your company in this list of goals and content.
After reviewing these answers, visit 3 websites that are similar to your client’s website and take notes on what is common and different between each website.
After conducting your overview, develop a short document that communicates the following:
- Summary of What You Did and What Worked/Didn’t Work
- Common Navigation Labels and Patterns (How Users Navigate the Site)
- Common Functionality and Content (Things User Can Do)
- Content Voice and Tone (Verbal Personality of the Site)
- Design and Layout (Aesthetic Personality and Usability of the Site)
- Recommendations and Strategy Based on Client Goals and Findings
FORMAT AND TEMPLATE
You can use whatever program you’d like to write this assignment - just produce a PDF at the end. You do NOT have to write it in HTML.
To help get you started, I’ve provided a Google Docs template containing the basic headings and sections you’ll need. However, you can format however you think is best.View/Download the Template
HOW TO TURN IN THE ASSIGNMENT
We will turn this in at the beginning of class. Just have your research document (PDF) ready at the beginning of class.
Since this is the first assignment, we will need to setup our site root directory to house and host the project files. We will set up hosting and our FTP accounts.
- One of the team members needs to create a root folder for your RWD project. (Consider creating this as a Google Drive folder that is then shared.) Name the folder (your last names)-RWD_Root.
- Create a new index.html in this root folder using Atom or Brackets. This will serve as our Project Hub.
- Create a folder called Research
- Move or save your Competitive Research PDF into the research folder.
- We will upload the contents of this folder to the root folder on our Webhost.
Use the following rubric to ensure you receive the highest possible grade for the assignment:
- 4: Your research contains a thoughtful analysis of all of the required parts, and matches the goals you heard from the client. You submitted your assignment correctly.
- 2 - 3: Your research contains some of the required parts, but it could be more detailed and thoughtful. You submitted the assignment correctly.
- 0 - 1: Your research is missing some of the required components completely. It may have not been turned in according to directions.